This started as a “can you translate the pattern” project although I’m pretty sure the lady who asked would have worked it out the tricky bit by herself in time.
I’ve altered it so it starts with a magic loop (just because I like them) and I’ve worked the base in rounds rather than a spiral as I find it easier.
I used Chiltern craft cotton, which produced a sturdy cover; so much that despite its lacy effect a small cover could support itself without a jar. A little starch could make this a stand alone trinket basket if you so wished.
I only had white DK cotton at the time, but the original pattern was worked with 2 shades to great effect.
These can be used as plant pot holders, vases, tea lights etc.
- Craft cotton
- 3.5mm hook
- slst = slip stitch
- dc = double crochet
- tr = treble crochet
- rev V-st = see below
- V-st = 1tr, 1 ch, 1 tr
- yrh = yarn round hook
This is similar to standard decreasing of 2 tr except there is a chain space between the 2 halves of the treble stitches.
- yrh, put hook through next stitch, draw yarn back, yrh, pull through 2 loops on hook – leaves 2 loops on hook
- yrh, put hook through top of next tr (second st from above), draw yarn back, yrh, pull through 2 loops, yrh, pull through 2 loops.
- Work 6dc into a magic loop, join with slst
- 1ch, 2dc into each st, join with slst (12 sts)
- 1ch, *2dc in next st, 1dc in st after that,* repeat ** to end, join with slst (18 sts)
- 1ch, *2dc in next st, 1dc in next 2 sts after that,* repeat ** to end, join with slst (24 sts)
- 1ch, *2dc in next st, 1dc in next 3 sts after that,* repeat ** to end, join with slst (30 sts)
- 1ch, *2dc in next st, 1dc in next 4 sts after that,* repeat ** to end, join with slst (36 sts)
- 1ch, *2dc in next st, 1dc in next 5 sts after that,* repeat ** to end, join with sl st (42
Continue with increasing until base reaches correct diameter.
Rounds 1 – 5: 1 ch, work 1dc into each st. Join each round with sl st.
- 4 ch – equals 1 tr &1 ch – 1 tr into st at base of ch, *skip 2 sts, V-st into next st* repeat * * to end – there will be 2 sts left at end – join with slst into 3 ch of 4.
- 2 ch, skip next st, tr, *2 ch, rev V-st* repeat to end, 2 ch, join with with slst into top of first st.
- 4 ch – equals 1 tr &1 ch – 1 tr into st at base of ch, V-st into top of each rev V-st to end, join with slst into 3 ch of 4.
- If you want to change colour, do so now. Continue repeating Rounds 2 & 3, finishing with Round 2 until sides reach bottom edge of jar lid.
Skip the first rev V-st, then *5 tr in the top of the next followed by a slst in the one after*. Repeat * * to end, fasten with a slst into the top of the missed rev V-st at the beginning of the round.
- Sew in ends
- Slip cover over jar
- Use a glue stick around outer edge of jar rim.
- Stick edging to jar.